3 Days Hiking Nyiragongo volcano
3 Days Mount Nyiragongo Volcano Hike
3 Days Hiking Nyiragongo volcano tour |Mount Nyiragongo Volcano|Mount Nyiragongo volcano lava lake|Dr. Congo Tour|Dr. Congo Tour Mount Nyiragongo Volcano|Congo gorilla tour| Congo gorilla trekking. This 3 Days Hiking Nyiragongo Volcano Tour starts and ends in Kigali Rwanda, takes you to the memorable experience of hiking Nyiragongo volcano in Congo. This tour can be organized in either budget, mid-range, and luxury, just enquire here.
Mount Nyiragongo Volcano hike tours
The Nyiragongo active volcano is one of the Congo’s major tourist attractions. Located in the Eastern part of the country and overlooking the Virunga national park, Nyiragongo volcano is one of the 8 volcanoes within the Virunga conservation region. The other volcanoes include Mount Karisimbi, Mount Bisoke, Mount Muhabura, Mount Sabyinyo, Mount Mikeno, Mount Gahinga, and Mount Nyamuragira. The Nyiragongo volcano rises at 3470 meters offering a medium hike to the top of the volcano approximately 5 – 6 hours.
Being one of the world’s largest active volcanoes, the Mount Nyiragongo volcano lava lake is very intriguing and impressive. Mount Nyiragongo hike tours were opened to tourism in 2014 by the Virunga National Park authorities. Visitors usually combine mountain gorilla trekking and hiking the Nyiragongo volcano Those who are looking for a unique and once in a lifetime mountain hiking adventure will find the answer in hiking Mount Nyiragongo. It is the only place in Africa where visitors are allowed to go and see a lava lake up close. You might also be interested in information about Mount Kilimanjaro
How to reach Mount Nyiragongo Volcano
Mount Nyiragongo can be reached from several areas but for security reasons, it is safer through Gisenyi town in Rwanda. From Gisenyi, visitors will be driven for 20 km to the border between Rwanda and DR Congo before crossing to Goma. From Goma town, a great black cloud is visible which is a reminder of the volcano's last eruption in 2002. The lava that once flowed at great temperatures has now cooled to leave a black rock. After Goma, you will be driven to the head trail at Kibati village. You will be briefed on what to expect before starting your Mount Nyiragongo volcano hike. The briefing covers all important aspects of hiking the Nyiragongo Volcano and includes what to expects, the stopping points, and what to pack. Hikers will need to move as a group for most of the activity except for the final part of the hike.
Climbing Mount Nyiragongo
Climbing Mount Nyiragongo can be very challenging for those who are ill-prepared and not in good shape. One needs to be ready to deal with the steep slopes and rugged terrain. There are porters at the starting pointing in Kibati Ranger post who can be hired for a fee to help with carrying heavy stuff. After the briefing at 9 is and assembling as a team together with the cooks and other hikers.
There are five segments when climbing mount Nyiragongo. The first part of the hike involves climbing through areas at a lower altitude. Those who are not mentally or physically prepared usually quit at this point. After the first major stop, the altitude increases presenting more challenges. In this second part of the hike, one has to deal with small loose lava rocks. Those who have proper hiking boots should pass through this section with ease.
After completing the second part, hikers have to now deal with not only the small loose rocks but slippery stones and the difficult conditions of higher altitude. By the time you reach the fourth segment, the mountain slopes get steeper and steeper with a greater cold due to high altitude. Apart from the cold, it's common to find rains in this section – Warm clothes and rain jackets will be required. The final part is the steepest but also the shortest. The cabins can be sighted from this point and that is enough motivation for even the most tired hiker. Hikers who manage to reach this section are allowed to complete the rest of the hike at their own comfortable pace.
Overnight on top of the Nyiragongo volcano cabins
12 summit cabins are provided at the top of the volcano each comprising of 2 single beds where hikers can put their sleeping bags. The cabins have a mattress and a pillow. While at the cabin hikers are provided with snacks, breakfast, dinner, water, and sleeping bags. The mountain top can be freezing cold with strong winds. You need to be to go prepared with warm clothing. The cooks and porters will help prepare hot tea and coffee to help relieve hikers from the cold. The cost of an overnight at the summit is included in the permit fee. From the cabins, you can smell the boiling and bubbling lava.
After marveling at the boiling lava lake and magma, it is time to descend. Descending is much faster and it takes about three hours to reach the starting point. However, it is not as easy as it seems. Climbing down through sharp rocks and steep sections can be very challenging and one needs to be cautious so as not to be hurt by the sharp rocks. The great thing about descending is that you have a sustained view of the great Virunga National Park and distant Volcanoes including the Rwenzori Mountains in Uganda and Lake Kivu.
The cost and requirements for getting a Congo Visa
Nyiragongo hiking permits can be obtained from the Virunga National Park directly through us. Once bought, Nyiragongo Hiking permits do not attract a refund. You need to first secure the hiking permit before applying for a Congo Visa. A single Congo tourist entry visa costs $105 per person. This single entry visa is valid for 14 days from the day of entry.
Apart from the VISA, you need to have other documentation with you to cross the Congo border from Rwanda. A Valid passport is a must as is a yellow fever vaccination card. A good tour company should help you acquire the VISA as well as arranging for transportation, accommodation, and porters.
Packing List for hiking mount Nyiragongo
- A rain jacket: This should be light so as not to inconvenience you while climbing the mountain. The rain jacket will help shield you from the heavy rains.
- Suitable hiking boots: The shoes should have a good grip (rubber soles), waterproof, comfortable, and able to keep your feet warm.
- Warm clothes and sleeping bag: The mountain gets colder as one ascends higher and you need to be prepared in the best possible way. Go with warm clothing to stop protect you from the freezing cold at the summit. You will need a sweater, rain resistant pants, jacket, long underwear, warm socks, and a hat.
- Packed lunch and Water: Climbing Mount Nyiragongo can be very tiring leaving you thirsty and even hungry. Carry along packed lunch and enough drinking water
- Hire a porter: Hiring a porter at the base of the volcano costs about $15 per day. These porters are used to climbing the volcano several times a week and have no difficulty helping with heavy luggage. They will also help you climb the most difficult parts of the mountain.
- A hat and sunscreen: These will come in handy when there are heavy downpours or during the hot/dry season.
- Camera and Binoculars: You cannot go for such a great experience without a good camera or photos to show off your time at the volcano. Watching a live Volcano is an experience only a few ever get in their lifetime. You need good photos for your record and to also show off to friends and family. Binoculars will enable you to spot amazing scenery particularly while climbing down the mountain.
- Backpack: This is where you would be keeping all your gadgets – phones, pads, camera, binoculars, and more. Ensure that it is rainproof.
- Portable charger: This will ensure that your ipads, Laptops, phones are powered while in your cabin at the summit.
- A Torch: The summit has no electricity. Power is got from solar but is not available everywhere. You will need a torch to move about to the kitchen or bathrooms
Important Information About Climbing Mount Nyiragongo The best time to Hike Mount Nyiragongo:
Hiking mount Nyiragongo can be done throughout the year but the dry season is preferred by tourists. The dry season falls between June and September and also December, January, and February. The rainy seasons cause the trails to be more slippery and difficult for hikers.
- Be in Good Shape: Climbing mount Nyiragongo is challenging and requires one to be fit. The mountain becomes steeper as one ascends while climbing down has its own challenges – Knee and ankle pain because of pressure. The weather conditions get more challenging as one ascends the mountains. You need to take that into consideration especially if you are sensitive to extreme weather changes.
- Mental Preparedness: This is key because it is not all about being fit. You need to be determined to complete the hike despite all the challenges you may face. One can prepare the mind and body weeks before the hike by going for minor hikes on rocks or hills around your home.
- Use a stick for hiking: A hiking stick will help you climb up and down steep slopes by helping you maintain balance and relive the knees from the greater strain. Climbing sticks are available at the starting point.
- Keep your valuable safe: Always keep your valuables like cameras, money, and laptops close to you even while at the cabins with fellow hikers.
- A yellow fever vaccination card is important: To cross the border to Congo, you will be required to show your passport and yellow fever card. Without the card, you may not be allowed entry to Congo.
Please Note: Hiking the Nyiragongo Volcano can be combined with Congo gorilla trekking for a more complete and memorable experience. If you are interested in combing the two activities, then you might want to check out our 6 Days Gorilla Trekking and Nyiragongo Hiking package.
3 Days Hiking Nyiragongo volcano tour Itinerary in Summary
Day 1: To Gisenyi
Day 2: Climb Nyiragongo Volcano
Day 3: Return to Kigali.
Nov 18- Mar 17
pickup avaiable from airport, train and also cruise
- Experienced and qualified guide
- full board accommodation
- Nyiragongo Entry permit
- anything listed in itinerary
- Any optional or extra activity not involved in the itinerary
Day 1: Drive To Gisenyi On your arrival at Kigali international airport your driver/guide will take you to gisenyi on the shores of Lake Kivu. In the afternoon you have time to explore Gisenyi town. Optional activities can be organized by the lodge. Activities today are at your own cost. On this tour, you can either sleeping Paradise Malahide or any category. Each comfortable bungalow was built using local wood and volcanic rock to blend seamlessly into the natural beauty of the area. A perfect night’s sleep awaits you as you fall asleep to the sounds of Lake Kivu floating into the shore. In the morning, you will be enchanted by the songs of the fishermen and birds.
Day 2: Climb Nyiragongo Volcano
In the morning after breakfast; you will be transferred to Goma Grand Barrier border. While at the border you will present the visa acceptance form and the visa invoice to the border official. This states that you already paid for your visa and you will receive a stamp in your passport for a single entry tourist visa.
While At the border Ultimate Wild Safaris representative will assist you with the border crossing procedures for a hassle free experience.Thereafter; our driver guide will drive you through Virunga national park to the Kibati patrol post on the foot of the Nyiragongo volcano. You will start hiking at 10 AM in the morning. You will have your personal cook who will prepare a nice hot meal on top of the crater rim and you will have a packed lunch. Ultimate wild Safaris will provide you with a backpack with a sleeping bag and warm fleece vest. It can get quite cold at the top of the Nyiragongo. So it is advisable to hire a porter to carry your luggage up.
The Nyiragongo Volcano is one of the world’s most active volcanoes and has the world's largest lava lake. This volcano recently erupted in 2002 but is predictable and therefore safe to climb. The volcano’s forested lower slopes are home to a variety of animals like monkeys and bushbucks. In the late afternoon you will reach the top with an extraordinary view of the crater filled with sea of lava. You are one of the few persons to admire this spectacle. After a nice hot meal you have some time to relax and enjoy the view. At night you can see the sea of lava in the crater which results in fantastic photos! You will sleep in one of the basic huts on the crater rim.
Day 3: Return to Kigali
Today you will descend from the Nyiragongo Volcano. After this amazing experience you will be transferred to the border of Rwanda. Thereafter; you will be transferred to Rwanda Capital city - Kigali for either a short city tour if time allows or direct to the airport in time for your flight back home.
Incase you need an extra night in Kigali we will be happy to organize this for you. Contact us, from here. Finally end of a once in a life time experience in DR Congo!
"I witnessed such a beautiful view! It took 5.30 hours of hike to go up. we were 16 hikers plus our porters I arranged my trip with ultimatewildsafaris.com booked a backpack and a stay one night on top We were met by ranger, our chef and porters. We left our bag on the base and took warm clothes for up only. The backpack includes a sleeping bag, a fleece raincoat, a water food jacket, and was carried by a porter. Hands down and applause to rangers and porters who go up to summit 3x a week. Hiking up was relatively hard. I'm amazed by the staff as they have enough stamina and used to hike 3470 m up TBH, I was struggling yet the rangers encouraged me by saying be strong. we do have breaks/stops. When I reached the summit, my tiredness just disappeared as I'm overwhelmed with the view! the Lava lake and the mini volcano-its like a poem. If you do time-lapse, you will notice the changes in the lava lake. The smell of sulfur is not too strong. Going down the next day is tricky yet I was assisted by my porter. I recommend anyone to take on this adventure "
"I and my friend did this 3 day tour Hiking Nyiragongo volcano. William picked us up, awesome driver and great companion, our trip was super nice and the food too."